- Download 1252
- File Size 1,488.88 MB
- File Count 1
- Create Date 18. October 2015
- Last Updated 18. February 2022
Quake "Epsilon" Build v2.52
Quake Epsilon is a graphically enhanced build of shareware Quake 1 for Windows/Linux/Mac, which can be upgraded to the full version of Quake along with it's mission packs Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity by copying the full-version .pak files into the correct folders.
It's made out of the Darkplaces engine and many mods from members of the Quake One forums and elsewhere (these are listed in the readme for each pack) as well as my own work. If it were not for these people, this build would not exist, so consider thanking the authors directly. These builds are legal and do not contain pirated content. Just simple unzip-and-play stuff.
There are four graphics modes, which you can switch between via a batch file ('High' is the default):
- Ultra - Recommended for the bleeding edge of current (~2011) computers. Recent cpu recommended. Reflecting surfaces, bump-mapping, environmental effects, multiple particle effects, better flames, high-polyon models, effected reflecting water, ultra quality texturing.
- High - Recommended for most modern machines. For good machines with good graphics cards. Geforce 7800 or upwards, dual-core 3ghz & upwards recommended. Environmental effects, multiple particle effects, better flames, high-polyon models, effected reflecting water, ultra quality texturing.
- Medium - For medium spec computers and laptops with reasonable onboard 3d chipsets. Transparent water, high quality texturing, graphical options optimised for performance, while still retaining the 'modern' feel of the quake epsilon build.
- Low - Recommended for older laptops, graphics cards without shader support, and older machines in general. But it's also designed to be similar to the original quake as possible for those who want a nostalgia trip but with higher quality textures. Few/no shader effects, uses the QRP texture pack, which is less gritty and grimy but more like the original quake, and uses less memory.
Please note that it runs much faster on Windows, so that would be my platform of choice if you have the option.
I don't want to clutter this summary, so more details and all credits can be found in the readme for each pack and on the homepage (http://www.xpfree.org/epsilon).